To achieve the body shape you want, diet and exercise are the healthiest options. In some cases, however, diet and exercise may not be the most appropriate option. For example, as people age, they often find it more difficult to lose fat, even with rigorous diet and exercise. In addition, people who have lost a great deal of weight rapidly may want to lose loose or sagging skin. In these instances, body contouring, or tummy tuck cosmetic surgery, may be the best option.
What is Body Contouring?
Body Contouring or body sculpting comprises a group of surgical techniques designed to improve the appearance of skin and tissue after major weight loss.
There are several different types of body contouring surgery procedures:
- Panniculectomy – This is a surgical technique designed to remove the pannus, the excess skin, and tissue from the lower abdomen. This skin is sometimes referred to as the “apron”. A panniculectomy does not affect the underlying abdominal muscles, so it is not considered a true cosmetic procedure
- Abdominoplasty – This procedure, also known as a tummy tuck, is a surgical technique designed to contour the abdomen. The surgeon will create an incision and remove excess fat and skin from the lower and middle abdomen. A tummy tuck also tightens the muscles of the lower abdomen using sutures, making it a true cosmetic procedure
- Liposuction – This is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat from the abdomen, thighs, and upper arms. An incision happens and one inserts a cuniculus. You then apply suction and remove the fat cells
- Brachioplasty – This is a surgical technique designed to firm and reshape the upper arm
What to Expect from Body Contouring Surgery
Although some procedures may occur on an outpatient basis, most cosmetic body contouring surgery procedures will require anesthesia and an overnight stay. After the surgery, you may need surgical drains to remove excess fluid or blood. If so, follow your doctor’s instructions carefully for the care and hygiene of the drain.
There may be some initial discomfort for up to 4 weeks. A full cosmetic surgery recovery may take several months. The extent of the scarring will depend on the type and extent of the body contouring surgery.
How to Choose a Qualified Cosmetic Surgeon
Today, there are many doctors advertising body contouring surgery. It is important to carefully vet doctors to find the best surgeon for your needs. There are 3 key features to look for:
- Skill and Experience – Seek a physician who specializes in your type of body contouring surgery and has a long, well-established history in the specialty
- Certification – Make sure that the surgeon is board certified
- Aesthetics – Review before and after pictures looking for a surgeon who has worked with body types like yours and achieved the results you are looking for
Sacramento Surgical Arts PC is a cosmetic surgery center in Sacramento California, specializing in tummy tuck cosmetic surgery, as well as other forms of cosmetic surgery. Give us a call today at 866.930.5837 today, to learn about body contouring.