Call Us About Your Case Today!
Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic surgeries performed in the United States. The process removes fat from the human body in an attempt to change its contours and proportions. It can also be performed alone or along with other procedures, such as breast reduction, abdominoplasty, or facelifts. There are several different types of liposuction techniques your cosmetic surgeon could perform, depending on your case.
Liposuction Can Target Fat Deposits In The Following Areas:
- Upper arms
- Inner knee
- Chest area
- Cheeks, chin, and neck
Types Of Liposuction
In most cases, fat will be removed using a hollow tube called a cannula and a suction device called an aspirator. Techniques are categorized by the amount of fluid injection and by the mechanism through which the cannula works. These are a few types of liposuction:
- Suction-assisted: Suction-assisted liposuction (SAL) is the most common method of the procedure. Small cannula are inserted through a small incision and attached to an aspirator. The surgeon pushes and pulls the cannula forward and backward carefully through the fat layer, breaking up the fat cells and sucking them up with the aspirator.
- Ultrasound-assisted: In this technique (UAL), a specialized cannula transmits ultrasound vibrations within the body. The waves break up the fat cells, emulsifying the fat and making it easier to suction out. This technique is best for more fibrous areas, such as the breast area or upper back. It will likely be followed with SAL to remove the fat.
- Power-assisted: Specialized cannula with mechanized movement is used, so the surgeon avoids making as many manual movements. It is otherwise similar to SAL.
- Twin-cannula assisted: TCL or TCAL uses a cannula pair (a tube within a tube) to perform the surgery. The tube responsible for suctioning fat doesn’t interfere with the mechanical inner tube, which simulates a cosmetic surgeon’s stroke. It results in less burning and scarring.
- External ultrasound-assisted: XUAL is a type of UAL where ultrasonic energy is applied from outside the body through the skin. It causes less discomfort during and after the procedure and decreases blood loss.
- Water-assisted: WAL is a technique that uses a thin, fan-shaped water beam to loosen the fat tissue. The fat is then removed with a special cannula.
- Laser-assisted: With this technique, a laser administered through a fiber threaded through a microcannula is used to melt the fat in the target area. It is intended to reduce bruising and bleeding.
Depending on the extent of the surgery, patients usually return to work between two days and two weeks. You may be required to wear a compression garment, which will assist in healing. Your doctor may prescribe pain medication, but other patients rely on over-the-counter medication for as long as two weeks. Bruising will fade after a few days or a couple weeks, and swelling will subside anywhere from two weeks to two months.
Remember, liposuction is not a permanent weight loss solution. While the fat cells are permanently gone, if you don’t eat well and exercise often, the remaining fat cells could become larger and replace the old cells.
Call Our Liposuction Sacramento CA Cosmetic Surgeon Today
The experienced cosmetic surgeons at Sacramento Surgical Arts, PC want to make your experience as comfortable as possible. We treat every patient with compassion and respect and provide customized treatment to meet your unique goals. If you decide to work with us, you will be provided with a private, on-site surgical suite with anesthesia administered by our certified specialists. Our team is highly qualified and trustworthy. We have two dual-degree doctors on staff, and we have many years of experience with dental and cosmetic procedures. Our experience allows us to perform any treatment in an effective and efficient manner while finding a method to minimize trauma and recovery time.
We also accept a broad range of payment options, including cash, money order, checks, credit cards, insurance, and Care Credit. Our team believes that all patients should be able to afford the procedures they need.
For more information about liposuction, or to talk to one of our experienced Sacramento cosmetic surgeons, contact us at 866.930.5837 or fill out our online form.